When your car’s engine starts sputtering, you take it to a mechanic. When you get a nasty cough, you seek the help of a physician. It makes logical sense that, if you are injured as a result of someone else’s negligence and are seeking the compensation that is owed to you in a court of law, you would hire a personal injury lawyer. However, many are often unsure as to whether their best move after an accident or injury is to hire a personal injury attorney, assuming their case will be open-shut or their injuries are too minimal to require the help of a professional litigator.
The unfortunate truth is that many who do not hire an experienced personal injury lawyer, especially if they have no experience in law, are left receiving far less than they deserve for their pain, suffering and losses. If you are on the fence about hiring an attorney to help with your personal injury case, consider the following facts:
Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Legal Complications: When dealing with an injury and the law, you are also dealing with two very technically complex fields of law. From extensive documentation to legal jargon, the vast majority of people simply do not have the knowledge base to tackle such cases and to deal with the insurance adjusters directly.
- Educated and Objective Opinions: Something many do not understand unless they have been injured by the carelessness of others is that a personal injury case can run you through a gauntlet of emotions. Anger, fear, confusion and frustration are all extremely common in such cases. Many need an objective, educated opinion removed from the high emotions of the incident to be a rational decision maker. The last thing you want is to accept a settlement out of desperation, fear or frustration.
- Expertise: The most obvious benefit of hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer is receiving their expertise. Someone who knows the ropes could make the litigation experience much smoother than jumping into it with only a layman’s knowledge of the law. Better yet, an attorney can let you know early on if your case is worth pursuing in the first place and discuss any potential; problem areas with your case.
- Representation: If it comes down to it, an experienced personal injury lawyer will fight for you in court based on a strong and viable legal strategy that is based on sound principles, practice, and years of experience.
- Settlement Success: An experienced personal injury attorney can often secure a settlement before litigation is even necessary. Most importantly, they can push for and ensure that the settlement offer covers all property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and not only current medical bills, but any potential future treatments necessary until you have fully recovered from your injuries. If you will never recover to the state of health you enjoyed before your injury, your settlement should reflect that substantial loss.
- Insurance Company Navigation: Make no mistake about it–dealing with insurance companies and their adjusters can be one of the most treacherous and frustrating elements of your personal injury case. Even if they have a calm, kind demeanor, the objective of the negligent party’s insurance company representative is to save their company money. If you hire an experienced personal injury lawyer, they can act as a watchdog, flagging inaccuracies or undervalued offers and put the pressure back on the insurance company instead of you, the victim.
- Lawyer-to-Lawyer Rapport: If your case goes to court, you will want an experienced personal injury attorney in your corner who can communicate on an equal playing field as the other party’s lawyer.
Should you hire a personal injury lawyer? Though this is a question only you as the injury victim can answer, we would wholeheartedly recommend you at very least consider doing so and consult with an attorney. An experienced personal injury attorney is more than just a confidant, but also a watchdog, consultant and objective voice that could lead you through the complexities of personal injury law.
Never forget, in the days, weeks, months and years after an injury, you do not have to fight for your recovery alone. Hire an experienced personal injury lawyer and get back to the life you love.