I have been out of work since my accident, when do I get a check?

By: Glen Wieland

workers-comp For those of us who have a job or have been in the work force for many years, we can pretty much set our clocks by the consistency of when our paycheck are due. No matter what the payroll schedule is, we depend on it. But what happens when you are injured on the job and your doctor  will not let you go back to work? Now you’re relying on workers’ comp payments, and if you are unfamiliar with how the system works and when to expect your check, it can be a stressful and confusing process. Government and insurance forms can seem daunting, so here are the basics you need to know to make sure you get the workers’ compensation you are entitled to in a timely manner.

What do I need to do?

There are a few things to remember. First, to make sure that you do not go too long before your first workers’ comp check, be sure that you have sent your insurance adjuster and employer a copy of the NO WORK slip from the doctor. Many times checks are delayed because the adjuster has not received a copy of this document.

When do I get a check?

When you suffer an on the job injury and the doctor takes you completely off of work, you should receive your first compensation check within 14 days from the date of your accident.  Delays occur when certain forms and paperwork like the above NO WORK slip are not sent to the adjuster and employer.

How much will I get?

Your employer is responsible for providing lost wages and medical treatment for your injury, as well as prescriptions, hospitalization, and even mileage reimbursement for driving to the insurance-provided medical care facilities and picking up prescriptions. The amount of lost wage compensation that you should receive is 66 2/3% of what your average gross earnings were for the 13 weeks before your accident. The insurance company will not pay for the first week that you miss from work unless the doctor has you off of all work-related duties for at least 21 days.

When do the checks stop coming?

In the State of Florida, you can receive up to 104 weeks of temporary disability benefits. If you still require workers’ comp assistance after 104 weeks, you may be entitled to receive additional benefits if your doctor believes you will not be able to work.  Your injuries must be severe enough to leave you unable to perform most jobs.  If this happens, you may be entitled to permanent total disability benefits.

If you have any more questions about this topic or any other workers comp issues, please call us at 407-841-7699. Plus, keep checking our blog, LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter at @whdjustice for more helpful hints and to always be informed about your rights.


When someone does such a phenomenal a job as Al has done for us,it’s hard to find the right words to thank him and his office for all the work that was done in our case. We would not have gotten anywhere without his knowledge and help. Until we actually saw all of the “HOMEWORK” that Al did,we had no idea how much work that had been put into our case. 5 stars for Al and his team for the excellent work in delivering a fair and just settlement.

– Juanita

I hired Al a few years ago for a workers compensation case. From the very beginning I found Al to be very knowledgeable and professional. He made sure I was aware of everything that was happening with my case from start to finish. His assistant (Melody) is also very professional and knowledgeable. I have and will continue to recommend friends and family members as I feel Al is one of the best attorneys in Florida and has exceeded my expectations.

– Debra