What is the Best Care for Your Injury?

By: Admin

Care for Your Injury

Many people who suffer injuries, whether it is from an accident, sports, or simply overdoing it in the yard, are confused about which type of medical specialist they should go to for diagnosis and treatment. Well, the answer may vary based on your medical condition and your injury. The first question to ask yourself is whether the pain you have is severe enough to go to a hospital emergency room and, if so, which hospital. If the injury is serious and potentially life-threatening, you should immediately visit the closest hospital.

There are now many billboards on the highways advertising the wait time for various emergency rooms around our area. We would never recommend seeking your medical facility based on its wait time alone. U.S. News and World Report has rated hospitals in the Orlando area, and Florida Hospital has earned the top rating, followed by Orlando Regional Medical Center. If ambulances and paramedics are called to the scene, you may not have a choice in where you go, because they will assess your condition and determine where you should be taken. You can always ask to go to a different hospital, and if the paramedics believe you are stable enough to get to that facility without consequences, they may take you there. Once there, you may not have a choice in your admitting/ER physician, but if it is determined that you need a specialist, and you know of a good one or have been treated by one in the past, you have every right to ask them to call in that physician.

If you do not need to go to a hospital, there are many walk-in urgent care centers scattered throughout the Central Florida area. Which facility is the best fit for you may depend on the particular physician who is working at that facility at the time you arrive. Many of these urgent care centers will move their doctors to different locations, and many have a high turnover of physicians.

If you do not need immediate care and you have a family doctor or Primary Care Provider that has treated you for years, you should, at least, call that doctor to ask for recommendations. What type of care you need and want is largely determined by the extent of your injury and your diagnosis. You would obviously not want to go to a dentist for a broken arm. You also do not want to go to a neurosurgeon for a broken arm. You most likely would need an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of injuries to bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles and the entire skeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons also treat a large number of patients who have chronic to severe back pain, which can be caused by muscle strain to a structural deformity or injury to the spine.

Physical medicine physicians treat these types of injuries but do so without the use of any surgery. Many physical medicine doctors treat chronic pain conditions and are the doctors that patients are sent to after they have recovered from surgery.

Neurosurgeons also treat injuries to the brain, spine, and nervous system. They specialize in the treatment of any condition that may affect the brain and nervous system of the body, from tumors, strokes, head injuries and any spinal injury or injury that affects the normal operation of the nervous system including herniated discs in the spine.

Chiropractic physicians also treat injuries to the skeletal system, muscles, ligament and tendons and supporting structures. They treat without the use of pharmaceutical medications but can provide pain relief through multiple procedures, including manipulation, electrical stimulation, muscle stimulation, traction, neuromuscular massage, and heat. Many professional athletes use the services of physical medicine doctors, chiropractic doctors and licensed physical therapists to keep them able to play and excel in their sport.

We at Wieland, Hilado & DeLattre are frequently asked which type of physician should treat our clients. We are not physicians but with our experience in dealing with thousands of people who have had a plethora of injuries and conditions, we can usually direct a person to a doctor who can diagnose the condition and care for your injuries.

If you, a friend or a loved one are unfortunately injured as a result of an accident or have any questions, do not hesitate to contact Wieland, Hilado & DeLattre, P.A.at 407-841-7699. For additional resources, keep checking our blog, LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more helpful hints and to always be informed about best practices in law.




Al is very professional and good at what he does. He knows his business to the max and I was very satisfied with his service I would recommend him every time.


I do not think I can find enough proper words to accurately convey my eternal gratitude for all your hard work, kindness and understanding during my daughters workers’ compensation case.  “Thank You” seems like it is not enough to convey my respect and appreciation I have for you. Thanks for having such a great staff, which shows why you all are the best.

– Robert G.