We are frequently asked to give advice about what to do when an automobile accident happens. Here is a list of classic tips we provide our clients looking for guidance when dealing with a car accident.
- First and foremost, call 911 to report the accident. If you are injured tell them you need medical assistance.
- Take a second to assess your situation as you are likely to be shaken up and emotions are running high. Your adrenaline is in high gear. If you are injured, stay in your car until the firefighters and paramedics arrive to assess your injuries.
- If you do get out of your car, make sure it is safe to do so. Many times accidents happen on interstate highways and busy roads.
- If you smell a heavy scent of gasoline, get out of and away from the car.
- If you are injured, let the paramedics take you to a hospital or emergency center for care.
- Anyone who comes up to you to see if you are injured is likely a witness. So ask them to share their contact information with you or get a business card or at least their name and cell number so that you may contact them if needed.
- Your cell phone is a valuable tool. Assuming you are able, take pictures of all the cars before they are moved or towed away. It may be the last time you see the other driver’s car.
- Get your registration and insurance information out of the car and keep it handy for the police officer.
- Get your purse and valuables out of your car if it needs to be towed away.
- DO NOT tell anyone you are sorry or imply you may have at fault. You do not have to tell anyone what happened except the police officer.
- While you are waiting for help to arrive, look around and see if there are any surveillance cameras at any local businesses or any traffic cameras at the intersection.
- Call your insurance agent and report the accident to them. Their number is typically on your insurance card.
- If you are injured, you must get emergency care within 14 days or your auto insurance medical coverage may not pay your medical bills.
Keep in mind that when a car accident happens to you, a loved one or a friend, you may have questions that arise. Do not hesitate to contact us at 407-841-7699 for any assistance you may need. For additional resources, keep checking our blog, LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more helpful hints and to always be informed about best practices when it comes to a car accident.