Can I select my doctor and receive reimbursement for the visits under workers comp?

By: Admin

workers comp

Often clients will ask us the question “Can I select my doctor and receive reimbursement for the visits under workers comp?” The answer in most cases is “No” as the law provides that only care authorized by your employer or the insurance company will be paid under most circumstances.

There are very limited situations where you can make your employer or the insurance company pay for you to go to your own doctor. One potential case is if your employer or the insurance company refuses to provide you with any care. At that time, you may then be able to go to a doctor of your choice and have your employer or the insurance provider reimburse you. Before you can do so, you should confirm in writing that you have been denied care so that your employer and the insurance company cannot claim that you never requested it.  A judge cannot order your employer to pay you back if you didn’t initially ask for care from your employer first.

If you have any  questions about this topic or any other matters, please call one of the attorneys at Wieland, Hilado & DeLattre at 407-841-7699. For additional resources, keep checking our blog, LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more helpful hints and to always be informed about your rights or to reach out to personal injury lawyers.

Image Source:


Al Hilado is the most forthright and honest attorney I have ever dealt with – if he says he is going to do something he does it and he always kept my best interest at heart.

– James A.

Words cannot express the professionalism you and your staff had given us in our time of need. I’m a retired law enforcement officer who was injured in the line of duty. I’m very pleased with the performance, support, professionalism and determination throughout my case. Everyone was quick to respond to my questions, available during times that most would consider after hours and always patient in explaining the details and developments of my case.

– Larry P.